Dulce de Leche Caramel Ice Cream with Toasted Almonds
Helado de Cajeta con Almendras Tostadas
Serves 6 to 8, makes a generous quart
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Caramel
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- In a small sauce pan, add milk, heavy cream, vanilla, Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Caramel and sugar. Set over medium-low heat, and cook stirring occasionally, until it barely begins to simmer, about 5 to 6 minutes. Continue with that gentle simmer for 5 more minutes, making sure it never comes to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the salt, until thick and foamy. Gently and slowly, pour the milk mixture, whisking briskly and continuously until it is all incorporated. Strain and return mixture to sauce pan and set over medium-low heat. Let it cook, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes, or until mixture has thickened to the consistency of thin custard sauce and coats back of a wooden spoon. Strain onto a bowl, let it cool, cover with plastic and chill.
- Place a skillet over low heat. Once hot, add slivered almonds and toast lightly, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Once ice cream mixture has chilled, combine it with the toasted almonds.
- From here you have two choices.
- 1. Pour ice cream mixture in a large Ziploc bag laying flat in the freezer for a couple of hours. Once it has frozen, brake into chunks as you place in a food processor. Process until completely smooth. Scrape onto a mold or container that can be stored in the freezer.
- 2. Pour onto your ice cream maker and churn, following manufacturer’s directions (in mine it takes about 1 hour 15 minutes). Eat immediately or freeze until ready to serve.