Dulce de Leche Fudge with Walnuts and Coconut
Fudge de Cajeta con Nuez de Castilla y Coco
Makes 25 squares
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced
- 2 ½ cups dark brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup Dulce de Leche Caramel
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Butter a non stick 8 x 8” square pan and completely cover with parchment paper all the way from the bottom to the sides.
- Place heavy bottomed medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add butter, sugar, vanilla, milk and Dulce de Leche Caramel, Stir with a whisk or wooden spatula until sugar melts and it all mixes and blends together. Continue cooking for 15 minutes more, stirring very regularly, scraping the bottom and sides as you do.
- Remove from the heat, and continue to regularly stir for the next 10 minutes. This will help the fudge cool and have a better and airier consistency. After 10 minutes, the fudge must have cooled down to room temperature and thickened considerably. Incorporate the walnuts and coconut into the fudge and combine well. Scrape onto prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before you serve.
- When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator, and lift the fudge using the parchment paper. Remove parchment paper, place fudge on a chopping board and cut into squares. You may also store covered in a cool room or in the refrigerator.