Dulce de Leche Mousse
Mousse de Cajeta
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 envelope, or about 1 tablespoon, unflavored gelatin granules
- 1 cup Dulce de Leche Caramel
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries or berries of your choice, optional for garnish
- Pour water into a medium heatproof bowl and add unflavored gelatin.
- Stir and let it sit until mixture puffs up, about 2 minutes.
- Fill a small saucepan, that can hold the heatproof bowl, with a couple inches of water and bring to a simmer.
- Place bowl with gelatin on top, stirring occasionally, until gelatin completely dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small sauce pan set over medium heat, pour milk and Dulce de Leche Caramel.
- Stir until fully combined, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour Dulce de Leche mixture into the bowl with the diluted gelatin and mix well.
- Set the bowl over an ice bath and let mixture cool and begin to set.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy whipping cream until it holds soft peaks. Be careful not to overbeat.
- Gently fold the cooled Dulce de Leche Caramel mixture into the whipped cream until fully combined. Don’t overmix, so you won’t lose much volume.
- Pour mixture into 6 individual ramekins (of 6 to 7 ounces), cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 to 3 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, remove mousse from refrigerator and top with berries if desired.