Swirled Dulce de Leche Caramel Banana Bread
Pan de Plátano con Cajeta
8 to 10
- ½ cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced and completely mashed
- ½ cup Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Caramel
- ¼ cup boiling hot water
- Place rack in the middle of the oven and reheat to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 5 nonstick loaf pan with butter.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer set with the paddle attachment, beat the butter over medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add brown sugar and white sugar, continue beating until smooth. Add the eggs and continue beating for a couple minutes.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour mix ¼ cup at a time. Continue beating until well incorporated. You will have a very dry batter.
- Remove 1/3 of the batter and place in a separate bowl. Add mashed bananas to the batter remaining in the mixer bowl, and continue beating until batter is fluffy and mixed. Pour banana batter onto prepared pan.
- Rinse mixer bowl and paddle attachment. Add reserved batter and Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Caramel to the mixer bowl and beat at medium speed, for a minute, until blended. Reduce speed, pour boiling water and continue beating until completely smooth.
- Pour Cinnamon Dulce de Leche batter over banana batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for an hour, until top is puffed up, golden brown and a toothpick comes out moist but not wet on a corner of the bread.
- Remove from the oven, let cool and flip onto a platter.
- Once it has cooled completely, cover it, so it retains and even gains more moisture.